Tuesday, November 24, 2015

E. H. Shepard

I had grew up watching the cartoon, Winnie the Pooh, but never had the chance to read the book itself. As Shepard's is most recognized as the illustrator of  said book, and among other children's books.

I like the little slice of life scenes of Christopher, which seem very normal if it wasn't for the Pooh and his friends sitting around with him. I also like how subtle the watercolor is, versus how I feel the characters stand out more, not as soft as the background. I do feel they seem faded as well, but not sure if it is because they are older or made that way.

I would like to create a full scene, much like the Braces below, because most of my backgrounds are broad and empty in my opinion avoiding too much detail that could be distracting, to the image, but to contrast it with soft versus hard lines would be an interesting experiment.

Christopher Robin's Braces, 1928

Christopher Robin at the Enchanted Place, 1928
Christopher Robin has a Little Something at Eleven, 1928

No comments:

Post a Comment